Announcing Rein in Sarcoma's six 2017-2018 Sarcoma Scholars from the Mayo and University of Minnesota Medical Schools! This is the ninth year RIS has awarded scholarships to medical students who spend the year completing various projects and presentations to bring sarcoma awareness to their fellow students as well as the larger community of medical professionals. The scholars are supervised by Dr. Katherine Dusenbery of the University of Minnesota and Dr. Scott Okuno of the Mayo Clinic. Come to the 17th Annual Party in the Park where our newest scholars will be introduced!
The inaugural Chainbreaker bike ride for University of Minnesota Cancer Research is taking place in August and Rein in Sarcoma will be fielding “Team Sarcoma” to expand sarcoma cancer research at the University.
Chainbreaker is a weekend cycling experience with the core purpose of funding cancer research. The inaugural Chainbreaker ride takes place August 11-13th, 2017 and begins at the BlueCross BlueShield Campus in Eagan, MN.
Team Sarcoma will be a “peloton” or team riding in support of sarcoma cancer research at the U of MN. All of the funds raised by Team Sarcoma will be designated as a part of the 2018 sarcoma research funding of Rein in Sarcoma. Team Sarcoma riders and donors can also support any of the specific RIS Named Funds in honor of sarcoma survivors or in memory of a loved one lost to sarcoma; just send us an email specifying to which named fund you wish to direct your donation. See instructions below.
An active biker, Christophe Lenglet is serving as captain of our “Team Sarcoma Peloton” and he hopes dozens will be joining him in the weeks ahead. Christophe is riding with particularly deep passion and commitment as he lost his sister-in-law Nicole Anderson to sarcoma last year.
You can participate in two ways:
1. Sign up to ride with Team Sarcoma with 25, 50, 80, or 180-mile ride options over the August 12 to 13 weekend, all leaving from the Blue Cross corporate offices in Eagan.
2. Support the riders by making a tax-deductible donation. You can support either the entire Team Sarcoma Peloton or individual Team Sarcoma riders.
We need your help in making this year’s Party in the Park Silent Auction the best ever. Connect with your colleagues, friends, favorite restaurants, sports venues and ask them to provide a silent auction item. As an added incentive - for each auction item secured by May 24, we will enter your name in a drawing for a pair of tickets to the Science Museum of Minnesota (six sets of tickets available, expiration June 30). Here are some ideas:
- Vikings tickets
- Gift certificate to the hottest new indoor mini golf, game arcade and cocktail bar in town- “Can Can Wonderland” in St. Paul
- Do you know a professional gardener who would donate some time to provide landscape help, ideas and labor?
- New baby gift basket
- Local craft brewery tour, tasting and beer donation.
- Host a happy hour at our house if you have a great home or garden OR bring the party to the highest bidder and you do all the work!
- The next time you dine out, ask your server to bring the manager over and request a gift card. It is hard for him/her to say no when you have just supported the restaurant. We especially need some high end dining spots and larger amounts $100-$150 for the fall gathering.
- Sonos is the new electronic MUST HAVE gadget.
- Offer dog walking/sitting, baby sitting or piano lessons.
- We always need items that appeal to teenagers and their parents and grandparents.
Learn more and get all the info you need, by clicking here. Its really great fun!